ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT THIS BEETLE HAS CONVERGED ON BEING A ROLEYPOLEY? WHAT. FUCKIN CONVERGENT EVOLUTION, MAN!
Process gif for a little drawing I worked on today to go on the dedication page for Sad/Happy zine.
1. I’ll work out a loose sketch with big shapes, making sure not to be too precious with my lines.
2. I set my sketch on a really low opacity (like 10-20%) and do the final line art. I like the opacity super low because then I don’t feel like I’m tracing and it comes out looser. I spend the longest on my lines because tweaking stuff AFTER coloring is such a pain.
3. I block in flats with random colors. Usually dark-ish colors so I can see if I missed spots more easily.
4. I work out the color scheme with the flats. It’s a trial and error process but I usually start off with a certain “mood” in mind.
5. “Rendering”, details, highlights, coloring line art, fancy adjustment layers, etc etc etc.
Żaneta Strawiak is a Polish graphic design student who is studying at the Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice.
Mum draws the faces, daughter draws the bodies…These artists now hope to crowd fund the publishing of an awesome book! Join in here
It took me about 4 days, and I got about a cover done a day. I’ve never done digital painting on this level before, and was constantly surprised at the results as I was drawing this (especially the flower).
I was really hoping DFTBA records would pick these up as posters, as they’re the only website that could sell them in sets, plus being.. y’know, really suitable. I’ve gotten hundreds of requests for posters, but they seem completely disinterested, so I’ll try and sort something out for everyone (probably involving redbubble).
If you’re interested in buying a poster I would suggest following me here on tumblr. I’ll certainly be vocal about it if I work it out. And who knows, if all goes well, maybe I’ll do more stuff like this in the future.
This is freaking awesome.
BOOKLETS ARE PRINTED :D I’m never doing it this way again, printing was hell. Hell i tell ya!! Next time i go to a printshop, throw the indesign file at them at get the heck outta there lol.
Anyway, i was a bit pessimistic at first since everything went so difficult, but i’m actually happy with how they turned out!
And i’ll give a little peek inside, mainly for Appel so she can decide if she wants one eheh~